Contributing to JSDT #3 : Build Targets on the bleeding edge

I’ve been documenting how to use JSDT to do some HTML5/CSS/JavaScript development. In order to poke around the JSDT code to understand it better, I spent a bit of time figuring out how to get things checked out, built and running. The instructions on the JSDT site a re a bit sparse, so I thought I would document what I did.

I’m not on the JSDT team, so this may not be exactly how they do it. But it works for me.

Previously

My code no longer compiles!

This morning, I updated all the code I previously checked out.  And now my rhino.ui project has a compilation error in RhinoTabGroup:

After a little investigation, I determined that RhinoTabGroup is using a new 3.7 method in AbstractLaunchConfigurationTab.  It has just been introduced.  I’m building against Eclipse 3.6, so don’t have this method.

So if I want to keep my JSDT source code in sync with the latest, I’ll have to also keep up with any dependencies.

One idea to resolve this would be to download the latest milestone builds and put them in my build target.  However, this change is very recent and is not in a milestone build yet.

Another idea is to check out the latest o.e.debug.ui project and any dependency projects (hopefully not too many).

Check out more projects

To add the eclipse CVS repo, copy this into the CVS Repositories View:

:pserver:anonymous@dev.eclipse.org:/cvsroot/eclipse

And check out org.eclipse.debug.ui and org.eclipse.debug.core projects

And the compilation issue is resolved.

Going Forward

Going forward, my build target and workspace projects will change often.  I’ll need to actively modify these to keep things rolling along.  I’ll be doing a combination of:

  1. Including other Eclipse projects in my workspace, on an as-needed basis.  I’ll start getting a good sense of what these projects are as things break.
  2. Change my build target to move up to Milestone builds.

Next: Launching the JSDT Unit Tests

Advertisements

4 comments so far

  1. […] Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)Building Bridges… « Contributing to JSDT #1: Setting up Build Target Contributing to JSDT #3 : Build Targets on the bleeding edge » […]

  2. […] I updated to the latest debug plugins to resolve compilation issues. […]

  3. […] I updated to the latest debug plugins to resolve compilation issues. […]

  4. JSDT versus NetBeans « Eclipsed on

    […] #3 Bleeding Edge Build target […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: